
This weekend two friends came up to attend a home school conference. After it was over we went by Marianne and Don's house. Marianne was an avid gardener and had planted pansies before she died. As winter came and went, I was half dreading going over to the house and not seeing the beautiful flowers that she would have normally planted. We walked through the back gate only to discover the yard was full of colorful flowers. It was as though God came down and tended the garden Himself just for us. My dear friend stayed up late that night and wrote the following poem. It blesses me each time I read it.
Tonight I stood at death's door.
It caught me unaware.
The sudden outpouring of emotion quickly filled my eyes,
And my heart ached.
The hurt was more than I could handle.
My steps faltered.
I realized the life that once complete others
Had vanished in tragedy.
God guided my footsteps,
And into the garden He led.
Each step was knowingly designed to heal.
Slowly, I followed.
I was not prepared for what I saw.
Nor for what I felt.
When I pushed through that wooden gate,
Peace enveloped me.
On a white bench I found a place to rest.
I sat and took it all in.
Each plant was exploding with life despite death.
Intended beauty.
I had thought the garden abandoned.
The one who tended it gone.
I should not have been amazed to find the Master Gardener
Still in control of it all.
(10 May 2008)
Even in the midst of grief and pain, the Father loving reaches out in unsuspecting ways to let us know He is there and His steadfast love towards us is great.
"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:23
No comments:
Post a Comment