The strength or firmness of mind or soul which enables a person to encounter danger with coolness and courage, or to bear pain or adversity without murmuring, depression or despondency. Fortitude is the basis or source of genuine courage or intrepidity in danger, of patience in suffering, of forbearance under injuries, and of magnanimity in all conditions of life. (Webster's 1828 dictionary)
This word has come up in our history curriculum and I've also been hearing it in the olympics. When I looked the word up I thought what a great character quality to pray into the lives of my children and also myself. I am in great need of fortitude to face each day as a home schooling mom and also as our family continues to face the future in regards to an arrest and subsequent trials of those involved in my mother-in-law's murder. With the power afforded us in Christ, we can have a life of fortitude to face whatever comes our way.
"Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. THEREFORE, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."
1 Corinthians 15:57-58
No comments:
Post a Comment